Ok, so keep in mind that all I have seen is what NBC aired on TV. I am pretty sure that NBCOLYMPICS.COM has more to view. But I looked online at the results and that plus what I saw here is the random things flying through my brain: (keep iin mind, I am writing this on a few glasses of wine, this could be out there. And again, my disclaimer: I mean no disrespect to any individual athletes, this is purely my own opinion).
- Nastia Liukin on floor ahead of Alicia Sacramone already shocked me, Nastia qualifying into event finals???? I am not knocking her, I just think that is crazy. Alicia landing OOB didn’t exactly shock me but DAMN! Bridget Sloan did well on floor. I was proud. The Samantha Peszek injury shocked me.
- What was up with Nastia scoring the same as Shawn Johnson on beam? I have major beef with this, but maybe I am wrong: Nastia broke her connection of the Onodi-wolf full in her routine. What is the connection loss for that? because she still got a 6.6 A-score!!! That should not be right unless the loss of connection was only .1 because I know she usually loses one tenth for her Liukin-Nistor whatever move, and in my opinion, that was done solid. The whole routine was solid with the exception of that connection. Meanwhile Shawn was near flawless on her routine… how did she get the samw score? Shawn should have been given the 7.0 on beam. Did the full turn get devalued? Because it was awesome I thought. I am angry about this. Her routine was the best I have ever seen! She was flawless minus the landing which was almost stuck! I would have given Shawn a 7.0 plus a B-score of 9.5 which makes a 16.500. Kind of high actually. At least over a 16 though!!!! Which brings me to my next thought!
- What did everyonne think of scoring? Sometimes I thought it was too tight, sometimes I thought too lenient! Bars scoring was tight, Jiang Yuyuan I thought might have been a little low on bars. I don’t know. I can’t thnk.
- He Kexin falling on bars was insane. Well, don’t put 14 year-olds in the Olympics! But I was sad for her, as I haven’t seen her miss a routine yet. But she did make EF, too bad she has to go up first for that.
- On that note…SHOCKING that Nastia fell on her dismount! I know that dismount has been her nemisis, but Nastia has looked GREAT, and during podium training I was amazed because she looked sooooooo much better on that! She will get 1st or 2nd though on that event. She does deserve it.
- Chellsie Memmel‘s fall almost made me cry. i can’t even comment further on this.
- Shawn’s score on floor made me sad. Not the judging though. Why the 6.3? What is the loss of her not doing the Rudi? Did she not get credited for the Popa 1.5 jump? I don’t think the mistake on the Rudi was an actual mistake; I think she did that purposely. I am pissed that she wil got up 1st in EF.
- On that note, Shawn was only like 3 tenths ahead of Nastia in qualifying. That worries the hell outta me. If Shawn repeats and Nastia doesn’t fall, she will win. That will devastate me.
- What the hell happend to Dasha Joura?????????????? She qualified for NOTHING! Her 12-something beam score tells me she fell like 3 or 4 times! I am so sad for her!
- Yaaaaaaaaay for Anna Pavlova! Qualifying 5th into the AA and also making VT, BB, and FX finals? AWESOME! GO GIRL!
- What is going on with Vanessa Ferrari? I don’t even know. Qualifying 21st into AA is sad. I feel bad for her.
- DAIANE DOS SANTOS MADE FLOOR FINALS!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
- Cheng Fei is EFFING BADASS! 3 event finals for her!
- Beth Tweddle must have fallen off bars with a 8.0-something B-score.
- Regardless of how crappy prelims may have been for the USA, team finals is going to be crazy! Can’t wait! calculate bars A-scores and can’t figure out what is different. Please, anyone who knows please explain this to me!
- EDIT-One more important thing: Does anyone know WHY Shawn was given a 6.3 instead of 6.4 on bars? I can’t
Okay, I need to go watch more stuff on NBC’s website. I may have missed some random thoughts. I got 3 or 4 phone calls from people who also watched, calling me “to see if I was okay”. Hahahahahaha. How much of a gymnastics nerd am I???
Yay for the Olympics even though I am seriously concerned!