Wow. So I must say that I have heard a lot of comments about this Worlds being boring. Um….no. This was WAY better than 2005 (comparable because there is typically a bit of a lull the year following the Olympics) and I think the quality of gymnastics that we saw we typically much higher than what we usually see after the Olympics.
So let me just say that Worlds interrupted my life a little bit (and happily so). I was very behind in school work, forcing me to come home directly after the nail biting Gator Football game and write a paper. I watched the first night of EF until about 4am, and woke up at 7:45am to watch Day 2. I nodded off during parallel bars a little bit.
But here were the things that made me yell out loud.
1. Kayla Williams. Well, her life just changed. She will definitely be on the next world team. The first American woman to win a world vault title. But it’s not just that…..the quickness in which she has improved over the last few months is of Chellsie Memmel quality. I am also willing to nominate her in the gruop of “Best DTY Vaulters” because I have seen what….5 or 6 DTYs from her and she has stuck….well, like all of them! Hello the new Vanessa Atler (minus the nerves). Can we also talk about how awesome her attitude is? She is all business, and look at the way she runs off the podium when she is done, adorable. Then she fights back tears. Hello to one of my new favorites.
2. Beth Tweddle if this is your last competition I am glad it ends with a gold medal for you. Nice last pass. Sad she didn’t make bar finals.
3. Anna Myzdrikova would have beat Tweddle if not for that last pass. The whip double arabian was one of the best pieces of gymnastics I have seen in quite some time. (Or since Kayla’s DTY haha) The Triple back tuck combo is also something of great originality. I love this girl’s floor. I am sad she didn’t come away with a medal. But her awesome performances put hope into my, ‘Will the Russians reemerge as a gold medal threat?” i can wait and hope. bet you she will be on the World Team next year.
4. Ana Porgras is another person I am excited about. 3 EF’s and some really great style! Her Memmel turn on floor is amazing! Really excited about this girl’s future. How I wish she wouldn’t have fallen off the beam!
5. Yay for Marian Dragulescu winning two gold medals! How I wish this would have been the Olympics!
–He Kexin is looking even better. WOW.
-I wish Ivana Hong hadn’t wobbled all over the place, I think she could have gotten gold.
– Rebecca Bross didn’t do the Gogean, she only did a half. In the AA I thought this was a mistake….was this planned? Also, I like her double L. These elements could have made her bronze on floor.
-After Chinese Nationals, I said that if Deng Linlin didn’t fall, she would be world champion on beam. This happened.
–Ksenia Semenova I am hoping just didn’t have enough time to perpare (I also heard she has a back injury, dunno if that is true) which I hope is the reason for her poor showing. I really like her style. Also I have that Russian hope for 2012.
–Lauren Mitchell is now a force to be reckoned with. Watch out world. i am still hoping that Dasha Joura will come back better than ever next year.
-I hope Anna Pavlova is continuing and coming back.
– I am not a big fan of Sui Lu‘s FX. Sorry.
-My biggest complain is the stupid bonus gymnasts get by doing jumps after passes (like Mitchell’s stag after her double arabian, though she does it nicely). This completely negates the “stick your tumbles” rule. Hate it.
-Beam and floor routines are a lot smoother and look better with the code cutting it down to 8 skills. Much better.
-These execution scores are ridiculous. Let’s take William’s DTYT score….a 9.175? I think that was actually the HIGHEST execution score of WAG Worlds. That should have been like at least a 9.5. I would take a tenth for the split legs on the preflight, one for the slight crossing of the ankles toward the end. MAYBE a tenth for distance. You know what? Let’s take a tenth for height too. She lands ON THE LINE so no deduction there. Okay, well that E-score is a 9.600. What the heck is with all that anyway?
Here is a list of what I wish would have happened at Worlds….
1. Hong Un Jong (wish she hand’t fell even if I love Kayla)
2. Ariella Kaeslin (this really happened!!!!)
1. Deng (yay!)
1. Tweddle (another ‘yes’!)
3. Mitchell (this is actually my favorite routine, but Myz’s tumbles I like better)