I have been gone quite some time from the gymnastics blogging. I return. I am still getting over the Olympics. But I will get to that in a second.
No surprise to me at all that Ksenia Semenova leads the pack in the Qualifying round. She also qualified to the event finals in 3 events (no vault). She fell on a Pak salto in her UB routine. She will win the All Around in my opinion. I do believe that I blogged during Beijing, about her being one of the next superstars until this quad gets seriously underway. Early to say, but I honestly believe she will be in the next Olympics. Here are my random items from what I know so far about the 2009 European Championships:
- Youtube videos are already popping up here.
- Vanessa Ferrari looks completely different. BTW- she went back to her 06′-07′ FX routine. (Not the tumbling!)
- I think scores here are LOW! And I know the D-scores (formerly the A-score) are lower with the new code, but the E-scores (formerly the B-scores) are just insanely LOW to me.
- Semenova is definitely going to be one of my faves for the quad.
- Go Beth Tweddle, leading the pack on UB and qualifying into the FX final as well.
This is all I can say for now about the Europeans. Now onto why I have been absent. Yesssssss, I am a big dork and had to pull away from gymnastics for awhile. The outcome of the Olympic Games was a bit much for me. I don’t think there could ever, ever be another Shawn Johnson. I can’t believe how much admiration I have for someone who is 10 years my junior. I really wanted her to have the AA gold. And I am hoping upon hope that she will return to the elite gymnastics scene. But the sadness of the Olympics is also that I waited 4 years for it! And since gymnastics has a different ‘season’ than most sports, the tendency is for the sport to only be wild the year before and of the Olympics.
Here is an incomplete list of what broke my heart during the Games:
- The broken US team. Notably Chellsie Memmel. I really wanted to see her compete 4 events. And i was so excited about her comeback.
- Alicia Sacramone‘s TF performance. She has gotten a lot of crap about it. I was simply saddened for her.
- Cheng Fei‘s EF performances. Same way I felt bad for Alicia. With every major title on vault for the whole quad, it sucks to see her fall on her two main events. Cheng should have had 3 gold medals.
- Scoring aggravated me. Too much detail to go into for now.
So for now, I will wrap this post up. I have too much to do at the moment.